December 11, 2006
Albemarle County Police and Fire were called to Albemarle High School for the report of a gas leak.
Around 6:30 p.m., Albemarle County Fire got the call for a heavy odor of gas right in front of Albemarle High School. A construction crew laying fiber optic cable had struck a high pressure gas main.
"We arrived on scene, we noticed there was a large noise coming from the top of the parking lot. We saw there was some excavating equipment up there. We quickly realized that was where the gas leak was and quickly began to isolate the area," said Captain James Reinhold of the Seminole Trail Volunteer Fire Department.
Fire crews cordoned off the top parking lots of Albemarle High and with the help of Albemarle County Police, closed off Hydraulic Road between Georgetown Green Road and Whitewood Road. It took about a half and hour for gas crews to respond to the scene and another 15 minutes to clamp off the leak. Fire crews say the weather helped them keep this incident under control.
"One of our major concerns is the gas and where it is going to travel. Tonight we were fortunate enough that the airport reported calm winds with no general direction. So we were fortunate in that case that the gas didn't travel to far," Reinhold said.
No one was injured in the incident and no evacuations took place. The area surrounding the site is full of professional buildings and almost all of them were completely closed.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.