WCAV-WVAW-WAHU | Charlottesville, Virginia | News

Charlottesville Murder Trial Underway

By: Lisa Ferrari Email
By: Lisa Ferrari Email

January 3, 2007

The trial is underway for a Charlottesville man charged with 2nd degree murder.

22 year-old Jermaine Thurston all along has said he shot and killed Lamont Reaves last year but he said he was protecting himself.

The Commonwealth however sees it another way. In opening statements they outlined an altercation between two men that started at Wolfe’s bar and grill, continued to Friendship Court and ended at South First Street in bloodshed. Prosecutors said Thurston could have walked away from the fight, that he shot an unarmed man and that they said is murder.

The defense countered saying Thurston did walk away the first time only to be chased down by the victim and that her client had no choice but to defend himself.

Thurston has no prior criminal record. His attorney said he only began carrying a gun after he was shot in a random drive by shooting in 2005.

The Commonwealth called several witnesses who were there the night of the shooting. They will continue to present their case as this trial is expected to last thru the end of the week.


The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 5077606 - newsplex.com/a?a=5077606