February 1, 2007
A fire tears through a Charlottesville home leaving four UVa students without a place to live.
Charlottesville Fire got the call just before 10 p.m. for a fire in the 600 block of 14th Street. When they arrived, they found heavy fire coming from the second floor.
A Charlottesville Police Officer was nearby, heard the call and assisted several female UVa students out of the home. Fire tore through the second floor of the home doing extensive damage.
When firefighters arrived on scene they put water from a deck gun directly on the fire extinguishing most of the flames. For the next several hours, they continued to clean up and do overhaul at the scene.
One person was taken to UVa Medical Center to be treated for minor injuries. The Fire Marshal said a candle is to blame for the fire.