March 10, 2007
An employee mixed the chemicals thinking both were the same, but they were two different types of bleaches when mixed, a white cloud of smoke formed.
That's when employees at the Omni called officials, but the situation was quickly under control.
“There was no violent explosion. There was no highly dangerous toxic cloud that moved out of the building or anything like that. It was contained to the washroom where the chemicals were mixed. It was corrosive and probably damaging to your lungs if you had breathed it in right then and there, but that cloud was disseminated very quickly,” said Sgt. Mike Farruggio, Charlottesville Police Department.
The sergeant said these chemicals have now been removed by a company specializing in the disposal of dangerous materials.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.