Louisa County Police Chase Ends with Fatality

By: Stephanie Satchell Email
By: Stephanie Satchell Email

March 15, 2010


One man is dead and two others are recovering in a hospital following Sunday night police chase in Louisa County.

The accident happened on Pendleton Road outside of Mineral. The chase only lasted 20 seconds.

Major Donnie Lowe of the Louisa County Sheriff's Office said a deputy caught Henrico resident Charles Yacklon Jr. driving 60 in a 45 mph zone.

After the deputy turned on his lights and sirens and chased the speeding card, Yacklon sped up, lost control and plowed into a utility pole. The crash left a 22-year-old dead.

Lowe said he's seen his share of chases and that most people have a reason for running from the authorities. But in this case, Yacklon had a clean record.

"He didn't have any charges pending against him, had a good record from what we understand, unless it was just one of those things," Lowe said.

Once Yacklon is released from the hospital, he will face several charges, including felony eluding, reckless driving, speeding and failure to wear a seatbelt.


A police chase in the area of Route 522 and Route 33 in Louisa County late Sunday night ended in a traffic fatality.

Authorities say a Louisa County officer was on routine patrol around 10:45pm in the area of Pendleton Road, just south of the town of Mineral, when he observed a black Pontiac Firebird exit his radar at 65mph in a posted 45mph speed zone.

Upon activating his police lights and sirens, the officer reports the Firebird increased its speed to over 80mph, ran off the side of the road and struck a utility pole on Pendleton Road between Mica Road and Willis Proffitt Road.

The chase lasted approximately 20 seconds.

The front seat passenger in the Firebird, a 22-year-old male from Powhatan, was declared dead at the scene. The backseat passenger, Jason Rhoten of Louisa, and the driver, 28-year-old Charles Yacklon of Henrico, had to be extricated from the vehicle by the fire department.

Both Rhoten and Yacklon were airlifted to the University of Virginia Medical Center, where they are reported to be in stable condition.

Yacklon is charged with felony eluding, reckless driving by speeding and failure to wear a seatbelt.

Troopers with the Virginia State Police continue to investigate the accident and additional charges are pending.

The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 87645972 - newsplex.com/a?a=87645972
Gray Television, Inc.