Blaze Destroys Historic Scottsville Home

By: Cheryn Stone Email
By: Cheryn Stone Email

July 29, 2007

Fire heavily damaged an historic house at Fairview Farm Sunday in Scottsville, leaving the family homeless.

Scottsville fire crews were called around 6:30 Sunday morning, they got on scene within a few minutes, but the fire was too big for them to contain alone. Several crews were called for help and at least 10 other fire stations responded.

"We're having to use a lot of firefighters to do to the overhaul operation. We were supported by just about every company in the county and then Fluvanna also sent us trucks," said Chief Cersley.

No one was in the house at the time of the fire, but two dogs were taken from the house and later died on scene.

"At this time of year it's always harder with fires, with the humidity and the heat, we were fortunate that it came in early this morning so we had the cooler temperatures this morning," said Scottsville Fire Chief Timmy Cersley.

The Red Cross was also on scene ready to help.

"The red cross is here for two reasons, one is to give support to the family who is now homeless and the other is to give support to the firefighters here on scene, water food and helping out on that side of the operation," said Chief Cersley.

The blaze heavily damaged the main part of the house and the roof collapsed into the second floor. Hours after the fire began, crews were still fighting hot spots.

"Crews initially made an interior attack and found a partial collapse on the second floor. We pulled back and went into a defensive operation trying to save the wings of the house," said Chief Cersley.

Fire crews were able to save several items from the house and authorities said the right side didn't have fire damage.

"At this time I don't' know what the dollar amount on the damage is going to be, but this was a historic structure in the Scottsville area," said Chief Cersley.

Cersley said the walls of the historic house are pretty sound, and he guesses they may gut it and rebuild it because of it's history. However, it's ultimately up the owners, and they were not there at the time.

Authorities say that fire was accidental and are not ruling out a lightning strike as the cause.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 8798382 - newsplex.com/a?a=8798382