People are still a little uneasy about the incident involving Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) and a 20-year-old woman earlier this year.
A new policy released by ABC says that the agency will now require at least one uniformed agent to be on the scene when under cover operations are underway. Unlike the incident that happened earlier this year when, 20-year old Elizabeth Daily was followed by under cover agents, dressed in regular clothing.
"They weren't in uniform and then they started holding up badges, but we didn't look at the badges because we were freaking out and so we started driving away. What should we do?" That was sound recorded by a 911 tape of the incident.
July 6, 2013
ABC agents believed she was buying alcohol. They later found that it was sparkling water, however, she was arrested in the process.
That incident happened back in april of this year and ABC has since released changes to their policies, but one thing they haven't released is an apology
"They have not apologized to the women involved, and that is clearly the first step in an agency when a mistake was made," says Charlottesville attorney Scott Goodman.
Daily's charges have since been dropped, but many are beginning to think that ABC's methods are too extreme.
"Now they will have a uniformed officer along with the other officer, but what they don't say is should they be engaged in these operations to begin with,"says Goodman.
He believes that they are wasting tax dollars.
"But do people want groups of five and six ABC agents waiting outside grocery stores, waiting to accost 19 and 20-year olds to see if they have alcohol or not from law enforcement?" says Goodman. "This could open up some interesting dialogue to see if that's what people are willing to go along with."
Goodman also believes that there could be a potential lawsuit, but overall, he thinks ABC officials need to admit that they were wrong.