December 26, 2013
Friends of the families who lost their home in a fire on Christmas are now holding fundraiser to help with clothing and household items.
The fire happened on Orangedale Avenue off 5th Street SW in Charlottesville Wednesday night.
The Charlottesville fire marshal says the blaze was ignited by sparks from a wood stove that caught a couch on fire in the family’s living room.
Neighbors who saw the house go up in flames say the family rushed out of the duplex with nothing but the clothes on their backs.
“We realized that the family was standing out there, but they came out, like my mother-in-law said, with no shoes on, no coats,” says Buffy Sacre, family of one of the neighbors. “We had neighbors that were taking them and trying to get shoes for the kids. So yea, they've literally lost everything, everything.”
One fundraiser by the Cornerstone Church in Crozet is asking people to give clothing and give a few monetary donations.
The church is located on 470 Twinkling Springs Rd. in Crozet. You can call (434) 531-5968 to set up a time to drop off clothing.
Donations are also being accepted at 1009B Linden Avenue,
Friends of one of the families set up an online fundraiser for donations and you can click on the link nuder the photo for more information on how to donate.
Clothing sizes needed are:
- Little girl: 4 T, size 9 shoe, coat 4-5T
- Male youth: pants size 8-10 youth, shirt S-M boys shoes 8 youth, coat large youth
- Mother: pant 16-18, shirt 1 XL, shoe 7, coat XL
- Adult male (1): pant 28 x 30, shoe 10.5, shirt large, coat large
- Adult Male (2): pant 36 x 30, shirt. 1 XL, shoe 9, coat XL
- Adult Male (3): pant 32 x 32, shirt L, shoe 11, coat XL
- Adult Male (4): pant 32 x 34, shirt M, shoe 10.5, coat L