January 16, 2011
Fire investigators spent Sunday morning at the scene of a blaze that left an Albemarle County couple without a home.
A charred car and rubble remains at the scene on Porters Road in Esmont. Crews responded to the scene Saturday afternoon after a fire engulfed the two-story home.
Albemarle County Fire Marshal James Barber said the fire broke out in the area of the home's wood stove.
Neighbor Donald Gray said the couple who lived in the home just moved in a few months ago, and they weren't around when the fire started.
"I looked over there and saw flames, and it looked like that whole deck was on fire," Gray said. "All of a sudden, I heard this explosion, just a couple fireballs shot across the road and went to the other side of the woods."
The couple is staying with family in the area. The Red Cross has stepped in to provide aid.
January 15, 2011
Multiple fire crews battled a blaze for hours on Saturday, but the house on Porters Road in Albemarle County is considered a total loss.
James Barber, Albemarle County Fire Marshal, says, "It doesn't look like it was intentionally set." Barber says, "There is still a lot of work to do to rule out a lot of things and to determine a cause."
Neighbors reported the fire around 3:09pm and say no one was home when the fire started. It is believed the fire extended into the yard then engulfed a nearby vehicle. No injuries were reported.
The Red Cross is stepping in to help the family find temporary housing. Friends and neighbors are also offering help in light of the sudden loss.