Pets of Valor finalist, Chilly, is pictured here with her owners, Heidi Parker and Doug Miller. Photo by Meredith Lee, with HSUS
June 3, 2013
The Humane Society of America has a winner for its "Pets of Valor Award' and local pooch is taking home the prize.
Chilly, and english bulldog mix, woke up her owner, Heidi Parker, before her throat closed off from an allergic reaction to medicine she had taken earlier in the day.
The Humane Society recounts the complete on its Pets of Valor webpage:
Heidi was napping after getting an allergy shot—along with a higher than usual dose of antihistamine. About an hour later, the 3-year-old English bulldog mix became alarmed and did everything she could to wake her.
By the time Chilly succeeded, Heidi’s throat was so swollen that she could barely breathe. She was having a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction to the allergy injection. If Chilly hadn’t roused her, Heidi’s throat could have closed completely, suffocating her while she slept. Instead, she managed to call 911 and get treatment in time.
After returning from the hospital, Heidi updated her Facebook page: “I want to thank the FSPCA [the Fluvanna SPCA ] for allowing me to rescue Chilly... I’m not sure who rescued who here but Chilly is definitely my Guardian angel!”
Chilly will get a specialized dog tag for her heroics and the Fluvanna SPCA, where Chilly was adopted from, will get 500 pounds of dog food, courtesy of the BOGO Bowl Company.
The winner of the "Pets of Valor' is picked by voting done on the Humane Society's webpage.