Sept. 13, 2013
The parents of a University of Virginia student who died in a D.C. nightclub spoke out on Friday about their daughter’s death.
Rob and Dede Goldsmith lost their daughter Mary Shelley two weeks ago. She was just 19 and a UVa Jefferson Scholar. Now they are sharing their pain and anguish with the nation. The Goldsmiths were guests on the syndicated TV show The Doctors, offering a warning to other parents.
The Goldsmiths told a studio audience and people watching at home about how their daughter Mary Shelley was a smart, serious, vicarious UVa scholar who was not the kind to lose control.
“She went to school ok here's how I'm going to do it, spend 50 hours a week studying treat it like a job, then give herself 36 hours to let loose and just be a part of the college scene,” explained Dede Goldsmith.
Two weeks ago, Mary Shelly Goldsmith passed away at 8 PM on a Saturday after collapsing at a D.C. rave club.
The Goldsmiths, and the doctors on this show, want to warn the world about the drug MDMA. Rob and Dede say a powder version of the drug, known as “Molly”, killed their daughter.
“We hope that the world, particularly people in that age group learn that this is not safe,” says Rob Goldsmith. “This is not a soft drug, that there are real dangers to using this people have died from it.”
“Teenagers are now telling each other that this Molly is pure form,” chimed in Dr. Travis Stork. ”It's powder, you have no idea.”
Rob Goldsmith shot back, saying, “A lot of the media are talking about this maybe this was a bad batch, there is no such thing as a good batch.”
The toxicology report on Mary Shelley Goldsmith's death is still pending.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.