January 20, 2013
PORTSMOUTH, Va. (AP) - More than 160 heating units at a Portsmouth public housing complex have been replaced following two carbon monoxide deaths.
The combined water heater-heating units installed at Swanson Homes are designed to shut down in the event of a malfunction.
Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority deputy director Kathy Warren says 163 units were replaced at a cost of $1.5 million.
Warren tells The Virginian-Pilot that agency officials are looking at converting the entire 210-unit complex to electric. But she says such a move would be costly.
Relatives found the bodies of 65-year-old Leroy Stith and his wife, 65-year-old Inez Stith, on June 21, 2012. Warren had said the gas-fueled heater in the couple's apartment malfunctioned and created a fatal level of carbon monoxide.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.