May 1, 2014
The University of Virginia is under investigation for possible violations of federal law over the handling of sexual violence and harassment complaints.
In a statement released Thursday, the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights (OCR) listed 55 schools it is investigating for Title IX violations, including UVa.
School listed will undergo an in-depth investigation by the OCR.
The list is part the Obama administration's efforts to bring more transparency and protection for students from sexual assault.
The College of William and Mary is also under investigation.
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance.
Officials say the main goal of a Title IX investigation is to ensure that the school is in compliance with federal law, which demands that students are not denied the ability to participate fully in educational and other opportunities due to sex.
UVa. released a statement, saying in part:
"The university has been working with the OCR since summer of 2011 on its review of our policies and systems in the area of Title IX/sexual misconduct. The University has worked to provide OCR any information needed, and will continue to do so."
The following schools are being investigated:
- Arizona State University, AZ.
- Butte-Glen Community College District, CA.
- Occidental College, CA.
- University of California-Berkeley, CA.
- University of Southern California, CA.
- Regis University, CO.
- University of Colorado at Boulder, CO.
- University of Colorado at Denver, CO.
- University of Denver, CO.
- University of Connecticut, CT.
- Catholic University of America, DC.
- Florida State University, FL.
- Emory University, GA.
- University of Hawaii at Manoa, HI.
- University of Idaho, ID.
- Knox College, IL.
- University of Chicago, IL.
- Indiana University-Bloomington, IN.
- Vincennes University, IN.
- Amherst College, MA.
- Boston University, MA.
- Emerson College, MA.
- Harvard College, MA.
- Harvard University—Law School, MA.
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst, MA.
- Frostburg State University, MD.
- Michigan State University, MI.
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, MI.
- Guilford College, NC.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC.
- Minot State University, ND.
- Dartmouth College, NH.
- Princeton University, NJ.
- Cuny Hunter College, NY.
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges, NY.
- Sarah Lawrence College, NY.
- Suny at Binghamton, NY.
- Denison University, OH.
- Ohio State University, OH.
- Wittenberg University, OH.
- Oklahoma State University, OK.
- Carnegie Mellon University, PA.
- Franklin and Marshall College, PA.
- Pennsylvania State University, PA.
- Swarthmore College, PA.
- Temple University, PA.
- Vanderbilt University, TN.
- Southern Methodist University, TX.
- The University of Texas-Pan American, TX.
- College of William and Mary, VA.
- University of Virginia, VA.
- Washington State University, WA.
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, WI.
- Bethany College, WV.
- West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, WV.