September 27, 2011
Mushrooms are sprouting up everywhere after recent rainy weather, but doctors at Georgetown University are warning against eating them after treating two men fell dangerously ill from toxic mushrooms in the last two weeks.
Frank Constantinopla and his wife picked mushrooms from their backyard in Springfield, Va., to cook in a stir fry. Within hours of eating the fungi known as “death cap” mushrooms, they felt sick. His symptoms were worse and within days, he was suffering from the early stages of liver failure.
One week later, a retired farmer from Frederick, Md., fell ill with mushroom toxicity. Doctors were able to use a drug that’s undergoing clinical trials and now both men are recovering.
Doctor say people should buy their mushrooms from legitimate farms or grocery stores.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.