Doctors Warn Against Eating Wild Mushrooms

September 27, 2011

Mushrooms are sprouting up everywhere after recent rainy weather, but doctors at Georgetown University are warning against eating them after treating two men fell dangerously ill from toxic mushrooms in the last two weeks.

Frank Constantinopla and his wife picked mushrooms from their backyard in Springfield, Va., to cook in a stir fry. Within hours of eating the fungi known as “death cap” mushrooms, they felt sick. His symptoms were worse and within days, he was suffering from the early stages of liver failure.

One week later, a retired farmer from Frederick, Md., fell ill with mushroom toxicity. Doctors were able to use a drug that’s undergoing clinical trials and now both men are recovering.

Doctor say people should buy their mushrooms from legitimate farms or grocery stores.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130636468 - newsplex.com/a?a=130636468