- Virginia is one of the first states to join a nationwide effort to prevent cervical cancer. Delegate Philip Hamilton (R-93rd) is pioneering a bill that would make it mandatory for middle school aged girls to get the vaccine.
- This year there's been a lot of attention paid to Cervical Cancer, the virus that can cause it- HPV, and a new vaccine that could prevent it. Now a performer is on the road raising awareness about the disease.
- The Food and Drug Administration only warns against bagged spinach, but local grocery stores are pulling both bagged and loose spinach from the shelves. It's even being pulled from salad bars.
- The advisory committee for the Food and Drug Administration decided to recommend a new drug to prevent premature births. In clinical trials, Gestiva, has been known to reduce the number of babies born prematurely.
- It is considered one of the most effective treatments for severe acne, but new studies are raising concerns because of its side effects. Researchers found Accutane produced abnormal results for cholesterol and liver function.