May 30, 2008
(AP) - John McCain is insisting he did not misspeak when he said the number of U.S. troops in Iraq has been "drawn down to pre-surge levels."
The likely Republican presidential nominee is sticking by the comment he made yesterday, even though the number of troops in Iraq isn't scheduled to reach pre-surge levels until July.
McCain says "we have drawn down," and "we will continue to draw down." He says "the rest of them will be home at the end of July."
McCain's assessment of the troop levels had drawn fire from Barack Obama's campaign, which said the Arizona senator "should know better." And Wisconsin Governor Jim Doyle, an Obama supporter, accused McCain of misrepresenting the facts.
Today McCain said Obama had "made exactly the wrong judgment"
when he argued last year that a troop surge would increase sectarian violence in Iraq.
McCain supported the troop buildup, which top U.S. commanders have credited with helping curb violence.
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to email@example.com.
powered by Disqus