Jan. 2, 2014
Governor Bob McDonnell has announced the membership for the newly-created Task Force on Improving Mental Health Services and Crisis Response.
The membership includes leaders in the mental health field, law enforcement communities, the judicial system, private hospitals, and individuals receiving mental health services and their families.
Among the members are Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, Delegate Rob Bell and Dr. Scott Syverud, Vice Chair of Clinical Operations at the University of Virginia School of Medicine.
The task force will review existing services in the system, as well as make recommendations for improvements to procedures, programs and services.
“We must ensure that people experiencing mental health crises are connected immediately to needed services to help ensure their safety and the safety of those around them," Gov. McDonnell said. "This task force brings together experts on mental health services from a variety of perspectives."
The task force will hold its first meeting on January 7th.
- The Honorable Bill Hazel, MD, Secretary of Health and Human Resources
- The Honorable Bryan Rhode, Secretary of Public Safety
- The Honorable Kenneth Cuccinelli, Attorney General of Virginia
- The Honorable Cynthia D. Kinser, Chief Justice of Virginia Supreme Court
- The Honorable Rob Bell, Virginia House of Delegates
- The Honorable Joseph Yost, Virginia House of Delegates
- The Honorable Emmett Hanger, Senate of Virginia
- The Honorable Janet Howell, Senate of Virginia
- James Stewart, Commissioner, Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services
- Cindi Jones, Commissioner, Department of Medical Assistance Services
- Margaret Schultze, Commissioner, Department of Social Services
- Colonel Steven Flaherty, Superintendent, Virginia Department of State Police
- Buzz Barnett, Emergency Services Director, Region Ten Community Services Board, Charlottesville
- Kaye Fair, Emergency Services Director, Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board, Fairfax
- Melanie Adkins, Emergency Services Director, New River Valley Community Services, Roanoke
- Gabriel Morgan, Sheriff, City of Newport News
- John Venuti, Chief, Virginia Commonwealth Police Department, Richmond
- James Agnew, Sheriff, County of Goochland, Goochland
- Mike O’Connor, Executive Director, Henrico Area Community Services, Henrico
- Chuck Walsh, Executive Director, Middle Peninsula-Northern Neck Community Services Board, Saluda
- Jeffrey Lanham, Regional Magistrate Supervisor, 6th Magisterial Region
- Daniel Holser, Chief Magistrate, 12th Judicial District
- Bruce Lo, MD, Chief, Department of Emergency Medicine, Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, Norfolk
- William Barker, MD, Emergency Medicine, Fauquier Hospital, Warrenton
- Douglas Knittel, MD, Psychiatric Emergency Services, Portsmouth Naval Hospital, Portsmouth
- Thomas Wise, MD, Department of Psychiatry, Inova Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church
- Ananda Pandurangi, MD, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond
- Cynthia McClasky, PhD, Director, Southwestern Virginia Mental Health Institute, Marion
- Scott Syverud, MD, Vice Chair, Clinical Operations, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville
- Joseph Trapani, Chief Executive Officer, Poplar Springs Hospital, Petersburg
- Ted Stryker, Vice President, Centra Mental Health Services, Lynchburg
- Greg Peters, President and Chief Executive Officer, United Methodist Family Services, Richmond
- Teshana Henderson, Chief Administrative Officer, NDUTIME Youth & Family Services, Richmond
- Becky Sterling, Saluda
- Ben Shaw, Fredericksburg
- Rhonda VanLowe, Fairfax
- Tom Spurlock, Roanoke
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
powered by Disqus