Virginia Students Improve, Beat National Average on ACT Exam

AUgust 21, 2013

Virginia students continue to improve and exceed the national average on the American College Testing (ACT) exam.

The Virginia Department of Education reports that Virginia students scored an average of 22.4 on the test this year. That tops last year's score of 22.2 and is well above the national average of 20.9.

Virginia students improved and beat the national average in all four categories: English, math, reading and science.

ACT results are reported on a scale of 1 to 36. Fifteen Virginia students achieved a perfect score.

Nationally, 31 percent of all high school graduates tested were not ready for any college coursework requiring English, science, math or reading skills. The other 69 percent of test takers met at least one of the four subject-area standards.

Of the 1.7 million students who took the 215-question ACT exam, as many as 290,000 were within 2 points of meeting at least one of the four readiness thresholds.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 220554301 - newsplex.com/a?a=220554301
Gray Television, Inc.