March 25, 2010
A fire official says fumes from an underground gasoline storage tank in Colonial Beach apparently ignited and caused an explosion that killed a man who was removing the tank.
Colonial Beach Fire Chief Jim Jett says Jeff Malecha died Tuesday at MCV Hospital in Richmond.
Malecha owned a coffee shop on the property. Jett says Malecha and another man were using a front-end loader and an excavator to remove two storage tanks buried at the former gas station.
Police Chief Chris Hawkins says the force of Tuesday's blast threw Malecha across a street. Some patrons were in the coffee shop at the time, but no other injuries were reported.
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
powered by Disqus