WCAV-WVAW-WAHU | Charlottesville, Virginia | News

Electrical Short Blamed for Va. Poultry House Fire

January 11, 2011

Fire officials say an electrical short caused a blaze at a poultry house outside Harrisonburg that killed 17,000 young chickens.

Media outlets report that the fire occurred late Monday night at a poultry house owned by Shawn and Sharon Byler.

Rockingham County Fire and Rescue assistant fire marshal Mike Armstrong says most of the 4-week-old chickens died from smoke inhalation.

Armstrong says the fire inside the steel-framed structure was mostly out when firefighters arrived.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113356139 - newsplex.com/a?a=113356139