July 31, 2013
This weekend, August 2nd to the 4th, is the Back-To-School Sales Tax Holiday.
School and office supplies that cost less than $20, as well as clothes and shoes under $100 will be exempt from Virginia sales tax from Friday through Sunday. There is no limit to the number of items you can purchase without paying the sales tax, provided each item meets the holiday restrictions.
The following is an all-inclusive list of items that are included in the term “school supply” and are therefore exempt from tax during the sales tax holiday period, provided their sales price is $20 or less per item:
- Binder pockets
- Blackboard chalk
- Book bags
- Cellophane tape
- Clay and glazes
- Composition books
- Dictionaries and thesauruses
- Erasers (including dry erase marker erasers and dry erase marker cleaning solution)
- Folders: expandable, pocket, plastic, and manila
- Glue, paste, and paste sticks
- Index card boxes
- Index cards
- Legal pads
- Lunch boxes
- Markers (including dry erase markers and dry erase marker kits)
- Musical instruments, musical instrument accessories, and replacement items for musical instruments
- Paintbrushes for artwork
- Paints (acrylic, tempera, and oil)
- Paper: loose leaf ruled notebook paper, copy paper, graph paper, tracing paper, manila paper, colored paper, poster board and construction paper
- Pencil boxes and other school supply boxes
- Pencil sharpeners
- Reference books
- Reference maps and globes
- Sheet music
- Sketch and drawing pads
- Writing tablets
Guidelines for the holiday, additional lists and answers to frequently asked questions are available on the Virginia Department of Taxation’s website.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.