No Working Smoke Detector Found in Va. Home After Deadly Fire

December 23, 2010

Chesterfield County Fire Marshal Robby Dawson says a working smoke detector might have prevented the deaths of a woman and her 11-year-old son in a house fire.

Dawson told The Richmond Times-Dispatch that a relative told fire officials smoke detectors in the house were taken down for painting and hadn't been reinstalled.

The fire in the Settlers Landing neighborhood killed Tracey Johnson and her son, Jacob Layne. Johnson's husband, Kenneth Layne, jumped from a second-story window and was critically injured.

Fire officials have said a malfunctioning electrical outlet caused the fire.

Dawson met Wednesday with nearly 150 residents in the neighborhood to discuss the fire and fire safety.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112384344 - newsplex.com/a?a=112384344