August 23, 2013
The American Red Cross put out a list on Friday of earthquake preparedness tips.
The Red Cross says you need an emergency kit, a plan for where to go during an emergency and to stay informed about what resources your community has in place.
The emergency kit needs to have the following items:
- Water: one gallon per person, per day (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
- Food: non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket
- Map(s) of the area
Below are links to the Red Cross on how to be better prepared for an earthquake.