August 29, 2013
More than 100 Chambers across the Commonwealth and over 60 state government agencies competed in a five week contest to collect donations for Virginia food banks.
The second annual Governor’s Bowl Food and Fund Drive began on Memorial Day and ended on Independence Day, raising the equivalent of over 400,000 pounds of food.
The Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce participated in the drive, donating the equivalent 17 pounds per member.
Leslie Van Horn, Executive Director of the Federation of Virginia Food Banks said, “Our heartfelt thanks to the Chambers and state government agencies that supported their local food banks during this summertime competition for truly making a difference in the lives of so many in need.”
Over 1.1 million pounds of food were raised in just two years of the Governor’s Bowl competition.
The 2013 winners are:
- Buchanan County Chamber of Commerce (small) with 18,995 pounds
- Greater Augusta Regional Chamber of Commerce (medium) with 115,529 pounds
- Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce (large) with 17, 296 pounds
- Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce (large) with 17 pounds per person
- Office of the Governor (small) with 9, 096 pounds
- Virginia Board of Accountancy (small) with 337 pounds per person
- Department of Motor Vehicles (medium) with 28,560 pounds
- Department of Environmental Quality (medium) with 21 pounds per person
- Department of Corrections (large) with 19, 698 pounds
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to email@example.com.
powered by Disqus