July 13, 2013
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (AP) - Colonial Williamsburg is planning to reconstruct an 18th-century market house at the historic area.
Officials say trustee and major benefactor Forrest Mars Jr. of Big Horn, Wyo., has made a $1 million commitment for the construction.
It's the third major historic reconstruction funded he's funded since 2007 with gift funds totaling $11 million.
In the early 18th century, the colonial legislature set aside an open space midway to be used for markets and fairs. The 1757 market house was used through the early 19th century until it was replaced by a new structure in 1835.
Archaeology on the site will be conducted this summer and reconstructed market house could be in use by 2015. The wooden structure with a brick base will serve as the location for outdoor sales.