Va. Dorm Fire Attributed to Careless Cooking

October 11, 2010

An Old Dominion University spokeswoman says unattended cooking caused a fire in a school dorm that displaced eight students.

The fire occurred Sunday afternoon at the four-story Surry House. Fire officials say no one was injured.

University spokeswoman Jennifer Mullen told "The Virginian-Pilot" that few students were in the dorm because the school is on fall break.

Mullen says a student put a pot on a stove and then fell asleep.

Four students in the apartment where the fire occurred and four in a neighboring apartment will be moved to other residence halls temporarily.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 104713419 - newsplex.com/a?a=104713419
Gray Television, Inc.