October 22, 2010
An underground gas leak prompted the temporary evacuation of the William and Mary Law School and a graduate student housing complex Thursday.
Williamsburg Fire Department spokesman Eric Stone tells the "Daily Press of Newport News" that a contractor who was cleaning out a drainage main with a boring machine inadvertently struck a natural gas line around 1:45 p.m. Thursday.
About 200 students, faculty and staff were evacuated from the law school and a nearby nine-building graduate student housing complex. No injuries or illnesses were reported.
Virginia Natural Gas crews identified the damaged gas line around 3 p.m. and were making repairs.
Stone said the buildings opened back up around 3:45 p.m.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.