State / Regional Headlines
AAA Mid-Atlantic: Record-Breaking Pothole Season
- AAA Mid-Atlantic saw record-breaking tire-related requests for assistance for January and February, topping out at 67,621 for their mid-Atlantic region. Nearly 9,000 of those tire-related calls came from Virginia.
Hazmat Team Finds Coal Ash in Dan River in Va.
- A hazardous materials unit has found coal ash in the Dan River in Virginia from the massive spill last month. A massive spill from a Duke Energy facility in North Carolina coated 70 miles of the Dan River in toxic gray sludge.
Ex-Head of Va. Tech Institute Sues Over Demotion
- Virginia Tech President Charles Steger and three other senior administrators are being sued by a former director of the school's Virginia Bioinformatics Institute.
Virginia Agricultural Trade Conference Starts Thursday
- The sixth edition of the state's annual gathering of growers, trade officials and foreign dignitaries is beginning its two-day run in Richmond.
Va. Psychiatric Bed Registry Goes Online
- The Va. Department of Behavioral Health and Development Services says an online statewide psychiatric bed registry went live on Monday. The registry lists available psychiatric beds at private psychiatric hospitals, state facilities and crisis stabilization units.
VDOF Puts New Firefighting Equipment in the Field
- The Virginia Department of Forestry has added 5 new wildland brush trucks and 4 new tractor/plows with transports to help protect wildland areas throughout the state.
Big Fine in Coal-Tainted Water Deal
- One of the nation's largest coal producers will pay a $27.5 million fine and spend $200 million to reduce illegal toxic discharges into hundreds of waterways across five Appalachian states, according to a proposed settlement Wednesday.
More State / Regional Headlines