- An Albemarle county soldier came home from Afghanistan to a welcome from family and neighbors. Army Lt. Col. Davina Hunt-Bare credited friends, family, and church for helping her deployment and her return.
- A group of young musicians got the chance to play on the Downtown Mall thanks to a special arts academy. The academy focused on a wide range of art forms and the finale was their performance on the mall.
- Texas border security surge aims to deter smuggling, but officials say hard to be everywhere at once. Texas is spending $1.3 million a week for a bigger Department of Public Safety presence along the border.
- On Friday, Governor McAuliffe toured the Cherrystone Family Camping and RV Resort. The campground was hit by a tornado Thursday morning, resulting in two deaths and dozens of injuries.
- A new National Park Service report shows that visitors to Shenandoah National Park in 2013 spent $72.4 million in communities near the park. Officials say that spending supported 889 jobs in the local area.