The No. 6 Virginia women’s tennis team earned a 6-1 victory over No. 22 Notre Dame on Friday at Snyder Tennis Center.
Virginia won the doubles point with victories at Nos. 2 and 3 with Stephanie Nauta and Li Xi earning an 8-2 victory on court two and Maci Epstein and Danielle Collins downing their opponents 8-4 at court three.
In singles action, Virginia took a 4-0 lead after Collins defeated Quinn Gleason 6-4, 6-2 on court two, Nauta took down Jennifer Kellner 6-3, 6-0 at three, and Epstein earned a 6-4, 6-1 victory at five. Julia Elbaba and Rachel Pierson also logged victories at one and four, respectively.
The Cavaliers will be back in action on Sunday, March 23 at 12 p.m. when they meet Pittsburgh for the first time. Former UVa standout Emily Fraser is in her first season as an assistant coach with the Panthers.
#6 Virginia 6, #22 Notre Dame 1
1. #19 Gleason/Sanders (ND) def. #9 Elbaba/Pierson (UVa) 8-1
2. Nauta/Xi (UVa) def. Kellner/Sabacinski (ND) 8-3
3. Collins/Epstein (UVa) def. Fennelly/Robinson (ND) 8-4
1. #3 Julia Elbaba (UVa) def. Britney Sanders (ND) 6-3, 2-6, 10-6
2. #67 Danielle Collins (UVa) def. Quinn Gleason (ND) 6-4, 6-2
3. #47 Stephanie Nauta (UVa) def. Jennifer Kellner (ND) 6-3, 6-0
4. #55 Rachel Pierson (UVa) def. Monica Robinson (ND) 6-7 (3-7), 6-1, 10-4
5. Maci Epstein (UVa) def. Mary Closs (ND) 6-4, 6-1
6. Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Li Xi (UVa) 6-3, 3-6. 11-9
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.