The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team concluded its opening weekend of the season by sweeping a Sunday doubleheader at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers moved to 4-0 overall and 1-0 in the ACC. The 'Hoos downed Boston College 7-0 in their ACC opener before topping Navy 8-0 in the evening.
“These matches gave us the opportunity to get a lot of guys some action against live competition,” said head coach Brian Boland. “We were able to go as deep as 10 players in these matches, which is what we needed so we could test them and see where they are at this point of the season. I was pleased with their composure and professionalism throughout the day and I think we are in a good place as a team. Hopefully they will continue to work hard as we prepare for National Team Indoors in a few weeks.”
After downing Elon and Indiana on Friday and Saturday in the ITA Kickoff Weekend, the Cavaliers have shutout all four opponents they have played this season, dropping just two sets in the process. The victory over Boston College was also extended Virginia’s conference win streak to 107 matches.
Virginia had five players record a singles victory in both contests Sunday, as Alex Domijan, Jordan Daigle, Thai-Son Kwiatkowski, Luca Corinteli and Harrison Richmond each posted a pair of wins. In addition, Justin Shane won his match against Boston College and Ryan Shane and Mac Styslinger added wins against Navy.
Virginia will travel to Houston, Texas for this year’s ITA National Team Indoors, which will run Feb. 14-17. The Cavaliers are the reigning ITA Indoor champions and have won the title five of the last six seasons.
#1 VIRGINIA 7, BOSTON COLLEGE 0
1. Domijan/J.Shane (UVa) def. Nelson/Workman (BC) 8-3
2. Styslinger/Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Childree/Wagner (BC) 8-4
3. Thirouin/Raude (BC) def. Cornish/Richmond (UVa) 8-3
1. Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Philip Nelson (BC) 6-4, 6-2
2. #115 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Jonathan Raude (BC) 6-4, 6-2
3. #43 Jordan Daigle (UVa) def. Aiden McNulty (BC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Kyle Childree (BC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Luca Corinteli (UVa) def. Hank Workman (BC) 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
6. Harrison Richmond (UVa) def. Matt Wagner (BC) 6-1, 6-3
#1 VIRGINIA 8, NAVY 0
1. Domijan/J.Shane (UVa) def. Jones/Pecor (Navy) 8-1
2. Styslinger/Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Daniel/Mark (Navy) 8-2
3. Cornish/Daigle (UVa) def. Gaines/Jana (Navy) 8-2
1. Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Austin Jones (Navy) 6-1, 6-2
2. Ryan Shane (UVa) def. Calvin Mark (Navy) 6-1, 6-2
3. #94 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. Thomas Pecor (Navy) 6-0, 6-1
4. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Blake Daniel (Navy) 6-2, 6-2
5. #43 Jordan Daigle (UVa) def. Krishna Jana (Navy) 6-0, 6-3
6. Luca Corinteli (UVa) def. Tyler Tossavainen (Navy) 6-1, 6-0
7. Harrison Richmond (UVa) def. Alex Gaines (Navy) 6-1, 6-1
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.