The No. 2 Virginia men's tennis team recorded its fifth consecutive victory, topping No. 46 Georgia Tech 7-0 Sunday afternoon at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers improve to 19-3 overall, 7-0 in the ACC, marking the third consecutive season that the team has started conference play with seven straight victories.
Virginia took an early 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. Second ranked Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) and Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) topped Eric Molnar and Luke Rassow-Kantor 8-3 at the No. 1 position. Seconds later, the No. 49 ranked team of Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) and Dominic Inglot (London, England) clinched the opening point for Virginia with their 8-2 win over Zach Rath and Scott Blackmon at No. 2 doubles. Ted Angelinos (Athens, Greece) and Lee Singer (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) scored a 6-4 win at No. 3 doubles against Jose Muguruza and George Gvelesiani in a match shortened due to time constraints.
In singles, Devvarman made the score 2-0 as he cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Muguruza at No. 2 singles. Angelinos topped Gvelesiani 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 6 position before Huey clinched the match with his 6-2, 6-1 win over Molnar at No. 2 singles. Barrick's 6-4, 6-3 win over Rassow-Kantor and Marko Miklo's (Bratislava, Slovakia) 6-4, 6-1 victory over Rath made the score 6-0 in favor of Virginia. In the final match on the courts, Inglot rallied for a superbreaker win over Blackmon. After Blackmon won the first set in a tiebreaker, Inglot fought off two match points against him to win the second set tiebreaker. Inglot then won the third-set superbreaker for the 6-7, 7-6, 10-7 win to complete the Cavalier sweep.
Virginia will travel to the state of Florida for their final two road matches of the regular season next weekend. The Cavaliers will visit No. 35 Miami on Friday and No. 27 Florida State on Sunday.
#2 Virginia 7, #46 Georgia Tech 0
1. #2 Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Molnar/Rassow-Kantor (GT) 8-3
2. #49 Barrick/Inglot (UVa) def. Rath/Blackmon (GT) 8-2
3. Angelinos/Singer (UVa) def. Muguruza/Gvelesiani (GT) 6-4
1. #2 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. Jose Muguruza (GT) 6-1, 6-0
2. #22 Treat Huey (UVa) def. Eric Molnar (GT) 6-2, 6-1
3. #84 Dominic Inglot (UVa) def. Scott Blackmon (GT) 6-7(2), 7-6(8), 10-7
4. Marko Miklo (UVa) def. Zach Rath (GT) 6-1, 6-4
5. Houston Barrick (UVa) def. Luke Rassow-Kantor (GT) 6-4, 6-3
6. Ted Angelinos (UVa) def. George Gvelesiani (GT) 6-3, 6-1
|There are currently no active polls at this time.
Click here to view other polls on our site and past poll results.