December 2, 2009
Tiger Woods says he has let his family down and regrets "those transgressions with all of my heart." In a statement on his web site, the golfer says he has not been "true to my values and the behavior my family deserves."
Tiger's comments come after US Weekly magazine published a cover story alleging that a Los Angeles cocktail waitress had a 31-month affair with the world's No. 1 golfer.
Jamie Grubbs says she has proof: 300 text messages and a voice mail she says Tiger Woods left her last week.
"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voicemail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
US Weekly says they've checked out the waitress' story and the magazine believes it holds.
"Whether he is talking to a sports commentator or he's doing one of his many advertisements, you know it's Tiger Woods, but we have done our due diligence and checked the numbers, it's definitely Tiger," said US Weekly Editor, Caroline Schafer.
Tiger Woods says he's dealing with his behavior and his personal failings behind closed doors with his family. He says those feelings should be shared by his family alone.
Tuesday, Florida troopers charged Woods with careless driving in the accident he had outside his home last week, then closed the case. Woods says he will strive to be a better person, husband and father. He also offered a profound apology to all those who have supported him over the years.