No. 3 seed Virginia advanced to its first ACC Women’s Tennis Championship final after blanking No. 2 seed Miami 4-0 in the semifinals Saturday at Cary Tennis Park.
Virginia (20-5) will aim for its first ACC Championship title on Sunday against No. 5 seed Duke.
“It’s a good day for sure, especially coming off a late night,” Virginia head coach Mark Guilbeau said. “I’m really, really proud and you can see how happy the girls are. We knew we would be in pretty good shape if we battled hard. That was one of the best matches that I’ve seen this team play.”
For the second straight match, Virginia claimed the doubles point with wins at Nos. 3 and 2. Sophomores Maci Epstein and Danielle Collins beat Lina Lileikite and Stephanie Wagner 8-3 on court three. The Cavaliers clinched the point when No. 13 Julia Elbaba and Rachel Pierson defeated No. 46 Melissa Bolivar and Kelsey Laurente 8-6 on court two.
The Cavaliers dominated singles play as No. 36 Collins beat No. 61 Laurente 6-0, 6-2 on court two and No. 69 Pierson beat Riobueno 6-3, 6-0 on court four. No. 62 Stephanie Nauta clinched the win with a 6-1, 6-1 decision over No. 90 Lileikite on court three.
The Cavaliers defeated then-No. 1 Duke 5-2 earlier this season for their second win against a top-ranked opponent in school history.
Virginia will make its first appearance in the ACC Championship final when the three-day, single-elimination format with no playback was established in 1990.
First serve for the Virginia-Duke final is set for 11 a.m.
#7 Virginia 4, #15 Miami 0
1. Nauta/Xi (UVa) vs. #11 Riobueno/Albuquerque (UM) 4-3, DNF
2. #13 Elbaba/Pierson def. #46 Bolivar/Laurente (UM) 8-6
3. Collins/Epstein (UVa) def. Lileikite/Wagner (UM) 8-3
1. #4 Julia Elbaba (UVa) vs. #30 Stephanie Wagner (UM) 6-2, 3-2, DNF
2. #36 Danielle Collins (UVa) def. #61 Kelsey Laurente (UM) 6-0, 6-2
3. #62 Stephanie Nauta (UVa) def. #90 Lina Lileikite (UM) 6-1, 6-1
4. #69 Rachel Pierson (UVa) def. Clementina Riobueno (UM) 6-3, 6-0
5. Maci Epstein (UVa) vs. Melissa Bolivar (UM) 6-3, 5-2, DNF
6. Monique Albuquerque (UM) vs. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) 6-4, 3-0, DNF
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.