For the second year in a row, Virginia women's tennis has knocked off a team ranked No. 1 in the country.
The 13th-ranked Cavaliers upended No. 1 Duke, 5-2, Friday evening at the Boar's Head Sports Club.
The Cavaliers (6-2) dropped the doubles point, but rallied for five singles wins to post their second win against a top-ranked opponent in school history.
“I’m so proud of everyone, the team, the staff and our entire program for today’s win against a very good Duke team,” Virginia head coach Mark Guilbeau said. “We really appreciated our fans coming out and supporting us.”
Posting singles wins for the victorious Cavaliers were sophomores Maci Epstein, Danielle Collins, Stephanie Nauta, Julia Elbaba, and freshman Marie Faure.
The Cavaliers posted their first win against a top-ranked opponent last season, defeating then-No. 1 North Carolina 4-3 in Chapel Hill.
Virginia travels to Boston College for an ACC match on Sunday, Feb. 23. First serve is set for 11 a.m. at the BC Flynn Athletics Complex.
#13 Virginia 5, #1 Duke 2
1. #6 Capra/Mar (DU) def. #3 Elbaba/Pierson (UVa) 8-6
2. Goldfeld/Smith (DU) def. Nauta/Epstein (UVa) 8-7(4)
3. Mullholland/Scholl (DU) vs. Collins/Faure (UVa) 6-4, DNF
1. #4 Julia Elbaba (UVa) def. #3 Beatrice Capra (DU) 7-5, 7-5
2. #53 Danielle Collins (UVa) def. Chalena Scholl (DU) 6-2, 6-4
3. #20 Ester Goldfeld (DU) def. #39 Rachel Pierson (UVa) 6-3, 0-6, 6-2
4. #107 Stephanie Nauta (UVa) def. #42 Hanna Mar (DU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Maci Epstein (UVa) def. Rachel Kahan (DU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Marie Faure (UVa) def. #115 Marianne Jodoin (DU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3