The No. 4 Virginia men’s tennis team returned home Friday to post a 7-0 victory over Miami at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers posted their fourth straight win to move to 13-2 overall and 5-0 in the ACC.
“We got a lot of guys a chance to play today, and each one of them went out and gave 100 percent,” said associate head coach Andres Pedroso. “The reason this program has had success is that we show up for every match, no matter the conditions or opponent, and compete with pride. They did that today and we are proud of them for that.”
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point, again using a new doubles lineup. At No. 2, Alex Domijan and Harrison Richmond cruised to an 8-0 win over William Albanese and Henrique Tsukamoto. The Shane brothers, Justin and Ryan, teamed at No. 3 for an 8-1 win over Wilfredo Gonzalez and Daniel Shebshayevich.
In singles, Virginia controlled all six matches from start to finish, not dropping a set. Mitchell Frank extended the lead to 2-0 with his 6-2, 6-2 win over Gabriel Flores at the No. 1 position. Jordan Daigle added a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 5 over Tsukamoto before Domijan clinched the victory with his 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 2 over Diego Soto. Mac Styslinger defeated Albanese 6-3, 6-1 at No. 4, Richmond topped Bernard Tefel 6-0, 6-3 at No. 6 and Thai-Son Kwiatkowski downed Gonzalez 6-2, 6-4 at No. 3 to complete the sweep.
Virginia extended its win streak against ACC competition (regular season and postseason) to 112 matches with the victory.
The Cavaliers continue their homestand Saturday as they host No. 24 Florida State.
#4 VIRGINIA 7, #39 MIAMI 0
1. Corinteli/Aragone (UVa) vs. Flores/Soto (UM) 3-3 DNF
2. Domijan/Richmond (UVa) def. Albanese/Tsuskamoto (UM) 8-0
3. R.Shane/J.Shane (UVa) def. Gonzalez/Shebshayevich (UM) 8-1
1. #4 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Gabriel Flores (UM) 6-2, 6-2
2. #24 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Diego Soto (UM) 6-1, 6-3
3. #112 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 6-2, 6-4
4. #59 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. William Albanese (UM) 6-3, 6-1
5. #76 Jordan Daigle (UVa) def. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Harrison Richmond (UVa) def. Bernard Tefel (UM) 6-0, 6-3
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.