The No. 4 Virginia men’s tennis team continued a three-match homestand with a 6-1 victory over No. 24 Florida State Saturday at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers, who moved to 14-2 overall and 6-0 in the ACC, recorded their fifth straight win.
“It has been a great weekend thus far for our team,” said head coach Brian Boland. “I am really pleased with the guys, with their professionalism and approach to this process. They support and commit to one another and that unselfishness allows us to be successful. We still have a lot of work ahead, but the team understands what it is going to take to play our best tennis at the end of the year.”
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead. Alex Domijan and Harrison Richmond won 8-3 at No. 2. Jordan Daigle and Thai-Son Kwiatkowski teamed at No. 1 to post an 8-5 victory to clinch the opening point.
In singles, the Cavaliers took control of the match by winning five of six first sets. Kwiatkowski was first off the courts, cruising to a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 4. Domijan added a 6-3, 6-2 victory at No. 2 before Mitchell Frank clinched the victory by winning 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 1 position.
After the Seminoles got on the board, Ryan Shane won at No. 3 and Mac Styslinger at No. 5 to make the final score 6-1.
Virginia extended its win streak against ACC competition (regular season and postseason) to 113 matches with the victory.
The Cavaliers conclude their homestand Sunday as they host William & Mary. The match is scheduled for 2 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center.
#4 VIRGINIA 6, #24 FLORIDA STATE 1
1. Daigle/Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. #41 Cotrone/Davis (FSU) 8-5
2. Domijan/Richmond (UVa) def. Gonzalez Mendez/Nunez (FSU) 8-3
3. R.Shane/J.Shane (UVa) def. Goldin/Rinaldi (FSU) 4-6 DNF
1. #4 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. #101 Dominic Cotrone (FSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. #24 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #65 Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. #40 Ryan Shane (UVa) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 6-0, 6-4
4. #112 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Michael Rinaldi (FSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. #59 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. Marco Nunez (FSU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Jake Albo (FSU) def. #106 Luca Corinteli (UVa) 6-4, 6-3
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.