No. 12 North Carolina defeated No. 5 Virginia 5-2 Saturday at Snyder Tennis Center. The loss snapped Virginia's three-match win streak and dropped the Cavs to 8-3 overall and 3-1 in the ACC.
Virginia won the doubles point and Stephanie Nauta stayed unbeaten in dual play with a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles.
The Cavaliers began the match by winning the doubles point. UNC took the early advantage with a win at No. 2. Virginia drew even seconds later as seventh-ranked Julia Elbaba and Rachel Pierson rallied from an early 4-1 deficit to win 8-5. With the opening point on the line, Maci Epstein and Nauta won 8-6 to give the Cavaliers a 1-0 lead in the match.
Singles play was close as each team won three first sets. The Cavalier lead doubled to 2-0 with Nauta’s win at No. 4 singles. The Tar Heels recorded their first point at No. 6 where Tessa Lyons defeated Marie Faure 6-3, 6-4. Sixth-ranked Hayley Carter tied the match for North Carolina as she downed Collins 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2 singles.
In a battle of two of the top players in the nation, top-ranked Jamie Loeb topped fourth-ranked Elbaba 6-1, 7-5 at No. 1 singles to give UNC a 3-2 lead. Each of the final two matches went to decisive third sets. At No. 3, Caroline Price came back from dropping the first set to top Pierson 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 to clinch the Tar Heels’ victory. Kate Vialle edged Epstein 2-6, 7-5, 7-6(4) at No. 5 singles to make the final margin 5-2.
#12 North Carolina 5, #5 Virginia 2
1. #7 Elbaba/Pierson (UVa) def. #5 Price/Kay (UNC) 8-5
2. #9 Carter/Loeb (UNC) def. Collins/Xi (UVa) 8-3
3. Epstein/Nauta (UVa) def. #32 Slater/Vialle (UNC) 8-6
1. #1 Jamie Loeb (UNC) def. #4 Julia Elbaba (UVa) 6-1, 7-5
2. #6 Hayley Carter (UNC) def. #58 Danielle Collins (UVa) 6-2, 6-2
3. #52 Caroline Price (UNC) def. #47 Rachel Pierson (UVa) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. #42 Stephanie Nauta (UVa) def. #83 Whitney Kay (UNC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Kate Vialle (UNC) def. Maci Epstein (UVa) 2-6, 7-5, 7-6(4)
6. Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Marie Faure (UVa) 6-3, 6-4
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.