The No. 5 Virginia men’s tennis team claimed its 11th consecutive ACC regular season title with a 7-0 victory over No. 23 Wake Forest Sunday afternoon at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers improved to 19-2 overall and 10-0 in the ACC with their 10th straight win.
The victory also gave the Cavaliers sole possession of the ACC all-sport record with their 117th consecutive victory over conference opposition (regular season and postseason). The Duke women’s tennis team previously held the record with 116 straight ACC wins from 1989-2000.
“It is something that is hard to believe in terms of the consistency that this program has had recently,” said head coach Brian Boland. “We have so much respect for the Atlantic Coast Conference and there are a lot of really good teams in this league. We are humbled and honored to reach this milestone. I can’t say enough positive things about the former and current players who have been a part of this run and how their dedication and passion for this program has allowed us to accomplish this feat.”
The Cavaliers took a 1-0 lead in the match by winning the doubles point then got singles wins from Alex Domijan, Mitchell Frank, Ryan Shane, Thai-Son Kwiatkowski, J.C. Aragone and Justin Shane.
The Cavaliers will conclude the regular season on Saturday as they visit Virginia Tech. Virginia will be the No. 1 seed at the ACC Tournament, held Apr. 24-27 in Cary, N.C.
#5 VIRGINIA 7, #23 WAKE FOREST 0
1. Domijan/Richmond (UVa) def. #41 Dumont/Ho (WF) 8-1
2. #71 Styslinger/Corinteli (UVa) def. Delcore/Lee (WF) 8-7(2)
3. Kan/Bogaerts (WF) def. Frank/Kwiatkowski (UVa) 8-7(5)
1. #24 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #34 Romain Bogaerts (WF) 6-3, 6-2
2. #4 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. #58 Adam Lee (WF) 6-1, 6-1
3. #43 Ryan Shane (UVa) def. #93 Maksim Kan (WF) 6-3, 6-4
4. #117 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Jon Ho (WF) 6-4, 6-3
5. J.C. Aragone (UVa) def. Aws Laaribi (WF) 6-3, 6-3
6. Justin Shane (UVa) def. Pedro Dumont (WF) 6-1, 6-3
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.