The No. 14 Virginia women’s tennis team recorded its highest-ranked victory of the season, downing No. 33 South Carolina 5-2 Sunday afternoon. The Cavaliers remained unbeaten on the season at 3-0.
“We knew we were going to be in for a tough match against a very good team,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “They are very athletic and in a lot of cases we were the ones who needed to create the offense and did a good job of that. Any win against a quality opponent is a good win and we will take it and now get ready for National Indoors.”
The Cavaliers took a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. Sophomores Maci Epstein and Stephanie Nauta gave Virginia the early advantage with a 6-2 win at No. 3. Eighth-ranked Julia Elbaba and Rachel Pierson clinched the opening point with a 7-5 win at No. 1.
In singles, Virginia extended its lead to 2-0 as Elbaba cruised to a 6-1, 6-3 victory at the top spot. Pierson made the score 3-0 with her 7-6(6), 4-6, 10-5 win at No. 3 singles. Marie Faure clinched the win with a 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 6. Nauta closed out the match with a 6-4, 7-5 win at No. 4.
Virginia will return to action next week as it hosts the 2014 ITA National Team Indoor Championships, Feb. 7-10 at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers’ first round match will be Friday at 6:30 p.m. Virginia will learn its opponent early this week when the tournament draw is announced.
#14 VIRGINIA 5, SOUTH CAROLINA 2
1. #8 Elbaba/Pierson (UVa) def. Lechemia/Blevins (SC) 7-5
2. Collins/Xi (UVa) vs. Folland/Popova (SC) 3-4 DNF
3. Epstein/Nauta (UVa) def. Dailey/Siles Luna (SC) 6-2
1. #11 Julia Elbaba (UVa) def. Elixane Lechemia (SC) 6-1, 6-3
2. Katerina Popova (SC) def. #28 Danielle Collins (UVa) 6-4, 4-6, 10-3
3. #43 Rachel Pierson (UVa) def. #113 Brigit Folland (SC) 7-6(6), 4-6, 10-5
4. #85 Stephanie Nauta (UVa) def. Ximena Siles Luna (SC) 6-4, 7-5
5. Meghan Blevins (SC) def. Maci Epstein (UVa) 6-3, 7-5
6. Marie Faure (UVa) def. Caroline Dailey (SC) 6-2, 6-4
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.