The No. 5 Virginia men’s tennis team tied the longest conference win streak in ACC history with a 6-1 victory over NC State Friday afternoon at the Snyder Tennis Center. The victory was the Cavaliers’ 116th consecutive win over ACC opposition (regular season and postseason), tying the conference’s all-time all-sport record set by the Duke women’s tennis team from 1989-2000.
The victory was the ninth straight for the Cavaliers, who improved to 18-2 overall and 9-0 in the ACC.
“I thought we played well in some tough, windy conditions today,” said head coach Brian Boland. “NC State is a great team and it was a tough match for us. We are better today after playing this match. I feel good about where our team is at this point in the season. We are starting to click on all cylinders and I can feel some guys stepping it up to another level.”
The match was part of the USTA College Match Day series, which caused singles to be played first. Virginia quickly took the lead as Mac Styslinger cruised to a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Thomas Weigel at No. 4 singles. Alex Domijan followed with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 1 over Robbie Mudge. The lead was extended to 3-0 with Mitchell Frank’s 7-6(4), 6-2 win at No. 2 over Austin Powell.
Virginia clinched the match as Ryan Shane rallied for a 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 over Simon Norenius at No. 3 singles. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski closed out singles play with a 7-5, 7-5 win at No. 6 over Nick Horton to make the score 5-1.
The Cavaliers conclude their regular season home schedule Sunday as they host No. 23 Wake Forest. Match time is 1 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center. In between doubles and singles, Virginia will honor seniors Domijan, Justin Shane and Ian Uriguen, as those three players will be making their final home regular season appearance.
#5 VIRGINIA 6, #32 NC STATE 1
1. #24 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Robbie Mudge (NCSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. #4 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. #52 Austin Powell (NCSU) 7-6(4), 6-2
3. #43 Ryan Shane (UVa) def. Simon Norenius (NCSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. #63 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. Thomas Weigel (NCSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. #117 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Nick Horton (NCSU) 7-5, 7-5
6. Ian Dempster (NCSU) def. Justin Shane (UVa) 7-5, 6-3
1. #71 Styslinger/Corinteli (UVa) def. #48 Horton/Weber (NCSU) 8-6
2. Domijan/Richmond (UVa) def. Mudge/Weigel (NCSU) 8-4
3. Norenius/Powell (NCSU) def. #81 Frank/J.Shane (UVa) 8-6