It was closer than they would have liked, but the No. 4 Virginia men’s tennis team remained unbeaten in ACC play by rallying for a 4-3 victory over No. 17 Clemson Friday. The Cavaliers improved to 16-2 overall and 7-0 in the ACC.
“It was good to have the team go through a match like this,” said head coach Brian Boland. “Clemson played a great match and really pushed us. To face adversity like this and be able to overcome it says a lot about this group.”
The Tigers took a 1-0 lead in the match by winning the doubles point, marking the first time since March 5 at UCLA that the Cavaliers dropped the opening point.
Virginia responded from dropping the doubles point by winning four of the six first sets in singles. Justin Shane drew the Cavaliers even with a 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles. J.C. Aragone gave Virginia the lead, 2-1, with a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 6. Kwiatkowski extended the lead to 3-1 with a 6-3, 7-5 victory at No. 3.
After the Tigers rallied to tie the match at 3-3 with a pair of wins, it all came down to No. 1 singles, where Domijan rallied for a three-set win over Harrington, 4-6, 7-5, 6-1. Harrington served for the match at 6-4, 5-4, but Domijan broke him and proceeded to win nine of the final 10 games to clinch the match and the victory for Virginia.
“It was a tough match,” said Boland. “Due to some guys being sick, we had a depleted roster. We had to throw some doubles teams together at the last minute and we weren’t sure until match time who would be able to play singles. I am proud of this group to be able to pull out a win under some tough conditions against a great Clemson team.”
#4 VIRGINIA 4, #17 CLEMSON 3
1. #25 Harrington/Maden (CU) def. J.Shane/Corinteli (UVa) 8-7(3)
2. Domijan/Richmond (UVa) def. Augusto/Dudley (CU) 8-7(5)
3. Johnson/Ansari (CU) def. Kwiatkowski/Daigle (UVa) 8-5
1. #24 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #82 Hunter Harrington (CU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
2. Dominique Maden (CU) def. #40 Ryan Shane (UVa) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. #112 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Alejandro Augusto (CU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Justin Shane (UVa) def. Austin Ansari (CU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Luke Johnson (CU) def. #76 Jordan Daigle (UVa) 7-6(5), 7-5
6. J.C. Aragone (UVa) def. Robert Dudley (CU) 6-4, 6-4