The No. 2 Virginia men’s tennis team continued its tour of the West Coast with a 6-1 victory over Loyola Marymount Friday. The Cavaliers improved to 10-2 this season with the win.
The Cavaliers began the match by winning the doubles point. Jordan Daigle and Alex Scheinman posted an 8-4 win at No. 3, while J.C. Aragone and Jonathan Cornish clinched the opening point with their 8-5 win at No. 2. At No. 1 doubles, LMU’s Sebastian Bustamante and Todd Volmari edged Luca Corinteli and Harrison Richmond in a tiebreaker, 8-7(4).
Virginia extended the lead to 2-0 as Alex Domijan rolled to a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 2 singles. Ryan Shane made the score 3-0 with his 6-1, 6-4 victory at No. 1. Corinteli clinched the Cavalier win with his 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 4. Cornish added a 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 6 and Aragone won 6-4, 6-4 at No. 3 to extend the lead to 6-0. In the final match on the courts, Bustamante topped Richmond in three sets to give the Lions’ their lone point of the day.
Virginia returns to action as a team on March 21 as they visit North Carolina.
#2 VIRGINIA 6, LOYOLA MARYMOUNT 1
1. Bustamante/Volmari (LMU) def. Corinteli/Richmond (UVa) 8-7(4)
2. Aragone/Cornish (UVa) def. Doehring/Simko (LMU) 8-5
3. Daigle/Scheinman (UVa) def. Rivera/Bohuslav (LMU) 8-4
1. Ryan Shane (UVa) def. David Doehring (LMU) 6-1, 6-4
2. #92 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Todd Volmari (LMU) 6-1, 6-0
3. J.C. Aragone (UVa) def. Cristobal Rivera (LMU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Luca Corinteli def. Othar Kordsachia (LMU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) def. Harrison Richmond (UVa) 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
6. Jonathan Cornish (UVa) def. Luke Bohuslav (LMU) 6-4, 6-1
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.