No. 2 Hopkins Edges No. 1 Virginia in Sudden Victory OT

By: Kristi Fulkerson Email
By: Kristi Fulkerson Email

March 24, 2012

Johns Hopkins' John Ranagan scored a goal with five seconds left in overtime Saturday for a 11-10 sudden victory win over Virginia. It's the second straight year the Blue Jays (8-0) have defeated UVa (8-1) and claimed the Doyle Smith Cup.

"You can't give the ball back to a great team that many times and expect to win," said Virginia head coach Dom Starsia. "I think that the difference was probably our shooting overall. I thought we created enough opportunities, but we were off the cage or made his life too easy."

The loss snapped UVa's 14-game winning streak at Klöckner Stadium, the longest streak in the nation. It's also marks Virginia's first loss since April 22, 2011 against Duke in the ACC Championship (13 games). The win was the first for the Blue Jays in Charlottesville since 1998.

Senior Steele Stanwick led the Cavaliers with two goals and three assists. His brother Wells Stanwick, a freshman at Hopkins, netted a goal and assisted two others for the Blue Jays. Virginia goalie Rob Fortunato made 13 saves.

Tied up midway through the fourth, Virginia and Hopkins traded goals until the final minute. Ryan Tucker scored with 2:44 to play and the Cavaliers held a 10-9 lead into the final minute. With 44 seconds remaining, the Jays' Lee Coppersmith took advantage of an extra-man opportunity to score the game-tying goal. Virginia was unable to get a shot off with possession in the final 21 seconds.

In overtime, the team's traded penalties and turnovers giving Hopkins' the final possession with 1:11 to play. Ranagan ended the game with a goal with five seconds remaining.

"It's a team game, and there were things that we could have done better at both ends of the field," said Starsia. "I just felt like offensively we let it get away from us. In the first half we could have had more goals, and in the third quarter we let Hopkins climb back into it by not capitalizing on some things on the offensive end. We weren't quite sharp enough."

UVa led 5-3 at halftime before trailing 7-6 heading into the final quarter. Hopkins would extend their lead to 8-6 with 13:18 to play. Rob Emery and Matt White netted a pair of goals in a matter of :50 seconds to tie the game at 8 with 11:06 remaining. Hopkins regained the lead with a score from Zach Palmer before Virginia scored two unanswered to take a 9-8 lead.

The Cavaliers return to action Saturday March 31at Maryland. Face off is set for noon.

The comments sections of are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 144102986 -
Gray Television, Inc.