April 21, 2012
The No. 2 Virginia (23-1) men's tennis team advanced to the ACC Championship match for the ninth straight season with a 4-0 shut out of Florida State (18-9) on Saturday. The defending conference champions will aim for their sixth consecutive crown when they meet Duke on Sunday at 11 a.m.
“The guys came ready to play today and I was impressed with the overall performance,” said UVa head coach Brian Boland. “We continue to get better with each match we play and we look forward to a great championship match tomorrow.”
Virginia has now won 91 consecutive matches against conference opponents. The Cavaliers have won 17 straight in the ACC Tournament, including the last five by shutout.
Sunday will be the third straight year Duke and UVa have met in the final.
#2 VIRGINIA 4, #32 FLORIDA STATE 0
1. #18 Courtney/Jenkins (UVa) def. #60 Davis/Kelly-Houston (FSU) 8-5
2. Rooda/Shane (UVa) led Lock/Bucaro (FSU) 6-5 DNF
3. Domijan/Frank (UVa) def. Cotrone/Reed (FSU) 8-4
1. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) led #5 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) 6-3, 4-5 DNF
2. #42 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) led Andres Bucaro (FSU) 6-2, 3-2 DNF
4. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Benjamin Lock (FSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. #79 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) vs. Jason Zafiros (FSU) 3-6, 6-2, 0-0 DNF
Order of Finish:
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
powered by Disqus