The No. 4 Virginia men’s tennis team closed out its regular season schedule Saturday with a 7-0 victory over Virginia Tech at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center. With the victory, the Cavaliers went undefeated through the ACC regular season for the eighth consecutive year. Virginia ran its overall winning streak to 11 matches in improving to 20-2 overall and 11-0 in the ACC.
“I cannot be any happier than I am with how well we are preparing and competing as a team,” said head coach Brian Boland. “I feel great about where we are at this point in the season and as we continue to develop with each practice and match, we are only getting better. We are humbled and honored to clinch another undefeated ACC regular season. This league is such a challenge with the number of quality teams, year-in and year-out. We look forward to the ACC Tournament next week. It will be a great tournament and will help prepare us for the NCAA Tournament.”
The Cavaliers took a 1-0 lead by winning a close doubles point. They then picked up singles wins from Justin Shane, Alex Domijan, Ryan Shane, Thai-Son Kwiatkowski, Mitchell Frank and J.C. Aragone.
Virginia will begin postseason play next week at the ACC Tournament, held April 24-27 at the Cary Tennis Center in Cary, N.C. The Cavaliers will be the No. 1 seed and open play with a quarterfinal match on Friday after receiving a first round bye.
#4 VIRGINIA 7, #36 VIRGINIA TECH 0
1. #43 Bjerrehus/Contini (VT) def. #44 Corinteli/Styslinger (UVa) 8-5
2. #55 Domijan/Richmond (UVa) def. Koontz/Monteiro (VT) 8-7(3)
3. Frank/Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Corbett/Wilson (VT) 8-5
1. #17 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #21 Amerigo Contini (VT) 7-5, 6-3
2. #2 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. #119 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. #45 Ryan Shane (UVa) def. Hunter Koontz (VT) 6-0, 7-5
4. #117 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Joao Monteiro (VT) 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
5. J.C. Aragone (UVa) def. Jai Corbett (VT) 7-5, 7-5
6. Justin Shane (UVa) def. Aaron Gomez (VT) 6-3, 6-2
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.