April 21, 2012
In their first semifinal appearance in nine years, the No. 15 Virginia women's tennis team fell short of the ACC championship match losing 4-0 to No. 2 Duke, the tournament's top seed. The fifth-seeded Cavaliers, fell to 18-7 with the loss and will await a NCAA Tournament bid to be announced on May 1.
“I am very proud of this team,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “We went through a rough stretch with some challenges towards the end of the regular season. I was impressed with our willingness to get through it and that has only made us better. I think that adversity is going to be an incentive to work even harder as we prepare for the final phase of the season."
The Blue Devils improved to 24-2 as they advanced to Sunday’s championship match against either No. 8 North Carolina (21-5) or No. 25 Georgia Tech (14-10).
#2 DUKE 4, #15 VIRGINIA 0
1. #23 Clayton/Goldfeld (Duke) def. #64 Tomljanovic/Vierra (UVa) 8-6
2. #27 Capra/Kahan (Duke) def. #13 Hardenbergh/Fraser (UVa) 8-2
3. Fuccillo/Xi (UVa) led Mar/Mulholland (Duke) 7-6 DNF
1. #2 Beatrice Capra (Duke) def. #21 Emily Fraser (UVa) 6-2, 6-1
2. #111 Ester Goldfeld (Duke) led #38 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 7-6(3), 2-3 DNF
3. #92 Rachel Kahan (Duke) def. #117 Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) 6-2, 6-3
4. #49 Hanna Mar (Duke) def. #99 Li Xi (UVa) 6-3, 6-4
5. Erin Vierra (UVa) led #74 Mary Clayton (Duke) 6-4, 4-4 DNF
6. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) vs. #88 Monica Turewicz (Duke) 6-4, 3-6, 0-0 DNF
Order of Finish:
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
powered by Disqus