No. 13 Virginia opened the 2014 dual season with a 5-2 win over in-state rival No. 40 William & Mary Wednesday.
Virginia won the doubles point and four of six singles matches to post the win.
The Cavaliers claimed the doubles point with wins at Nos. 2 and 3. Sophomores Stephanie Nauta and Maci Epstein blanked Julia Casselbury and Melanie Roy 6-0 at No. 2. Freshman Rachel Pierson and senior Caryssa Peretz clinched the point with a 6-2 win over Sydney Smith and Nabila Farah at No. 3.
Freshman Marie Faure made it 2-0 win a convincing 6-0, 6-0 win over Smith at No. 5.
No. 85 Nauta gave the Cavaliers a 3-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Farah at No. 4 and No. 43 Pierson clinched the win with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Melanie Roy at No. 2.
No. 28 Danielle Collins added a 6-4, 6-3 win over No. 65 Maria Belaya at No. 1.
The Cavaliers host the UVa Winter Invitational on Jan 18-20 at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. Utah, Tennessee, Marshall and VCU join Virginia in the five-team field.
#13 Virginia 5, #40 William & Mary 2
1. #28 Danielle Collins (UVA) def. #65 Maria Belaya (W&M) 6-4, 6-3
2. #43 Rachel Pierson (UVA) def. Melanie Roy (W&M) 6-2, 6-2
3. #89 Leeza Nemchinov (W&M) def. Li Xi (UVA) 7-5, 7-5
4. #85 Stephanie Nauta (UVA) def. Nabila Farah (W&M) 6-2, 6-1
5. Marie Faure (UVA) def. Sydney Smith (W&M) 6-0, 6-0
6. Julia Casselbury (W&M) def. Maci Epstein (UVA) 6-2, 3-6, 12-10
1. Belaya/Nemchinov (W&M) vs. Collins/Xi (UVA) DNF, 3-3
2. Nauta/Epstein (UVA) def. Casselbury/Roy (W&M) 6-0
3. Pierson/Peretz (UVA) def. Smith/Farah (W&M) 6-2
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.