April 15, 2012
The No. 3 Virginia men's tennis team defeated Miami 6-1 Sunday afternoon to finish their sixth consecutive regular season unbeaten in ACC play. The Cavaliers (21-1, 11-0 ACC) will be the top seed in the conference tournament where they'll aim for a sixth straight crown next weekend.
“I am proud of the guys,” said head coach Brian Boland. “It was another great regular season and we are looking forward to starting the postseason. We have been improving, both as a team and as individuals, throughout the season and will look to keep improving as we enter the ACC and NCAA Tournaments.”
Virginia swept all three doubles matches Sunday and claimed five of six in singles. UVa extended their winning streak to 14 matches, marking their 89th in a row against conference opponents.
With the top seed in the ACC Tournament, held April 19-22 in Cary, N.C., Virginia will have a first round bye and will open play on Friday in the quarterfinals.
#3 VIRGINIA 6, #63 MIAMI 1
1. #18 Courtney/Jenkins (UVa) def. Gonzalez/Tsukamoto (UM) 8-3
2. Domijan/Frank (UVa) def. Aly/Schanerman (UM) 8-7(1)
3. Rooda/Villegas (UVa) def. Soto/Stancati (UM) 8-4
1. #6 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Gabriel Flores (UM) 6-3, 6-1
2. #47 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Omar Aly (UM) 6-3, 6-1
3. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 7-5, 6-2
4. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Diego Soto (UM) 6-3, 6-2
5. #86 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 6-1, 6-0
6. Mark Schanerman (UM) def. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) 6-3, 6-7(5), 10-5
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to email@example.com.
powered by Disqus